Friday, May 23, 2014

Latest Finished Shawl - Hexy

Sometimes I think I should change the name of this blog to "Crochet in the Swamp". It has become my main hobby, and other than my family or neighbors, who else am I going to show my lovely yarn works to?

This is the Hexy shawl by Cheri McEwen one of the many designers at ravelry.com. It's a very easy pattern, it's free and the resultant shawl hangs nicely on the body. I used 3 colors of Caron Simply Soft in plum perfect, pistachio and dark sage. After wet blocking it I used my iron to steam the yarn, aka "killing" the acrylic yarn so it does not spring back into it's original shape, in other words, the yarn is no longer stretchy. Took me about 2 weeks to make, while making 2 other shawls at the same time (still unfinished) working only in my spare time.

First photo is the blocked shawl, second before pinning/blocking and killing. I know you can't really tell the difference in size but the finished shawl is about 4 inches longer and 10 inches wider than the pre-blocked one. I had to estimate the pre-block dimensions based on the table top size. For some reason I usually forget to measure till after it's pinned to the blocking mat.

I am calling it Hexy Purple Irises. At the moment I'm keeping it for myself.
Hexy 27" by 65"
~23" by 55"

No comments: