Thursday, May 8, 2014

It's May and it's Warmer

Yes it's warmer, with rain now and again and that's all I'm going to say about weather. I'm mighty sick thinking about it so I can only imagine my few followers are sick of reading about it. So I deleted my original paragraphs and instead will post a couple photos of my most recent shawl projects currently underway.

The first is a Half hexagon shawl called Hexy a free half hexagon pattern I am working up in acrylic worsted from Caron, their Simply Soft line. It's easy and I intend to make it big.
The second is called Lagniappe (pronounced lan yap) and is going to be first shawl with fringe. This pattern is also free and available at ravelry.com. I think you have to join ravelry though to get the pattern. (joining is free) I highly recommend. that site to anyone who knits, crochets, weaves or spins. Last I heard there were over 3 million members. That's a lot of people.

I had a hard time choosing the yarn colors for this. The yarn I had originally bought together thinking they would look good in a shawl, gray, black and a variegated gray/black/lavender looked
great in the store but looked not so great put together at home. I blame it on the fluorescent lighting. So I had some left over red from previous small projects and decided it went best with the gray. (Though navy would have worked, too) I had to go to the store and buy another skein of red and was very pleased I could match it exactly even though I bought the original skein at least 4 years ago. There is something to be said for a large yarn company and consistency.

This shawl is going to have red fringe, my first fringe, assuming I can master the technique. It supposedly takes a long time and eats yarn. The red yarn is also Caron Simply Soft, the gray is Bernat Satin. I couple more rows of gray and I'll be able to get to that fringe. It will be interesting.


No comments: