Thursday, April 3, 2014

Finished a Shawl and Started 2 More

I do seem to be addicted to the things. Of course, when done they almost always need blocking and that seems to take me weeks to get around to doing, but here is the one I just finished last week. The pattern is called Ginny's Patronus Cloak, I named mine Candied Nougat Chocolate Frog Patronus Shawl.  I learned a new stitch for this one, the Post double crochet, front and back. Made some interesting ridges in the center of the shawl. The yarn is mostly acrylic except for two that are an acrylic wool mix. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

Right after finishing that one I started another by the same designer. It's called Winter's End. I haven't really named this one yet. I'm using some 100% wool yarn I picked up a long time ago at WEBs in North Hampton, MA. A huge yarn warehouse place with so much yarn I was completely overwhelmed and had no idea what to get. It probably didn't help at the time that I really hadn't been crocheting with anything other than cheap acrylics and so had no idea what I needed or wanted. So it sat in the closet till I started this one and boy do I love this yarn. So much that I ordered more this week during their anniversary sale. Turns out it's one of their most popular brands. Oh, that would be Cascade 220.

This is a crescent shaped shawl, made with chains and single crochets. The edging is next but I'm waiting on a contrasting color to arrive before I can finish.

While I am waiting for my yarn I started yet another shawl, this one by a different designer. It's a pattern I won last year and is called Lillian. I like that name. I tried 3 different yarns and several different hooks before I settled on this merino wool/rayon/nylon sock yarn and a 4.5 mm hook. I started it yesterday. This is crocheted one side to the other rather than center top down, this photo is about one third of the way through and I am now working on the center back section, it won't get any longer until the lace edging is added at the end.
And my yarn shipped tonight, with one set of yarn missing. Although I know I ordered it in time it is now back ordered. Means I won't get it at all at the sale price even when it comes back in. *sigh* At least it wasn't the wool yarn.

No comments: