Though nothing unusual is appearing on the radar near Buffalo, NY the governor decided to close the NY Thruway from the PA/NY border right through Rochester. All this in preparation for snow yet to come. I guess they have a blizzard warning so they closed the thruway at 2:30. Hal and I have been looking for alternate routes and now they are on I-86 which is south of the 90 and heading for Elmira. I took that route in warmer weather once, very pretty. As far as I know it's still open as it's much farther away from the Great Lakes causing Buffalo and its surrounds so much trouble. I've cancelled their reservation at Motel 6 just off the thruway as they can't get there and am waiting to hear if they want me to make a new reservation somewhere else or if they're just going to wing it. Winter travel can be so exciting!
edited to add: They made it safely to a motel outside of Elmira where the sky is clear and I can still see some snow on the Buffalo radar but I have no idea if it's as bad as predictions. But they're well out of it now so it's no longer a problem for us.