Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year

Hello from the swamps of northern Michigan!

It's cold outside. And very white. Most of last night's snowstorm seemed to be downstate. I've noticed since I moved here 7 years ago that most of the big mid-western snowstorms seem to stay downstate. All we got up here was a dusting. Fortunately, we already had snow, so no biggie. (yes, I admit, I like a good snowstorm now and then, especially when I've no plans to go anywhere!)

I decided to start the new year by creating this blog. I've got another one, somewhere, on one of those competing sites that can't seem to get its act together so I figured I'd head on over to blogger and see what mayhem I can create here. Not that I'm big on mayhem, mostly that's wishful thinking. I have yet to get too controversial on line, but you never know, I may lose my head one day.

So where in northern Michigan (MI) am I? Let's just say, south of Alpena, north of Oscoda and slightly west of Lake Huron. Find a map, find a swamp, and I'm somewhere inside. Just me, my dogs, my ducks, and my husband.

I've lived in 3 other states and visited several others. I've lived on both coasts and in one state slightly to the south (but still on the east coast, so I'm not sure that counts).
I like it up here. There are 4 seasons, winter being one of the longest, though not as long as in the UP (Upper Peninsula of MI). The mosquitoes aren't as bad as I thought they'd be, it's the deer flies that get nasty! The dogs don't much like them either. I am considering ways of dealing with them next summer, however.

I haven't anything earth shattering to say today, just wanted to say something rather than leave a new blog blank. Perhaps later on I'll post a picture. That could be fun!

No comments: