Monday, May 3, 2021

More Weeding

On our day off from building yesterday, I got more weeding done in the perennial bed. I was lucky the rain held off as long as it did, giving me hours of cloudy, breezy time. It finally looks like I'm making some headway. The dogs didn't even seem bored this time, instead they wandered about the area checking things out. I even got it cleaned up enough to planted 2 creeping phlox that I bought a few days ago.

I still have a lot more weeding to do, and with the massive rain last night and more rain this week it will be a few days before I can get back to it.
On one of the walks with the dogs we got to see some blooming wild cherry trees and tiny little lavender violets.

One other thing I accomplished yesterday was to finish replacing the black landscape fabric for the future flower garden with cardboard to block light and kill the weeds and grass. All the fabric did was warm the earth and make the weeds very happy indeed. I covered it with a lot of field stones to keep it from blowing away. I can't really plant anything till the frosts are done so at least 4 weeks in the dark should help. At the very least I hope it will keep the weeds down which has been a terrible problem with the garden I put in last year.

I know both of these gardens are far from the house but they're on the dryer, higher parts of the yard which is rather important. Once we can actually landscape nearer to the house and put in a patio I'll be able to bring some flowers closer. Till then, it's nice to have something pretty to look at.

No comments: