Monday, May 31, 2021

A Final Freeze?

Though we had many days in the 70s, 80s, and even 90 this month, towards the end temperatures plummeted into the 50s for highs and 30s for lows. Though my weather service never mentioned frost warnings and certainly no freeze warnings,  I assumed frosts might happen and covered my tomatoes. That worked the first night, but the 2nd night dropped to 33 at the farmhouse and obviously dropped below freezing at the Palace. My tomatoes did not survive. Today I replaced them. Fortunately, I hadn't planted all of them outside.

The begonias in the pots next to the garage faired a little better, they may eventually start growing again. It's a long drive to Harger's in Glennie from here so it's doubtful I will replace them with more begonias. 
I totally neglected to cover the 8 cosmos out in the perennial bed. The tops are dead and the bottoms are half dead. I have no idea if they will recover either.

No comments: