Tuesday, May 25, 2021

An Update on the Build and the Gardens

 We've been busy. Mostly I've been planting seedlings while Hal works on the electrical. I've planted over 370 trees and bushes. The last 100 tree seedling arrived yesterday. I won't plant those for a couple more days (I have to figure out where to put the 50 spruce) as it's been in the 80s for the most part and that is too hot to do a lot of digging. Spring sort of went straight into summer though by the end of the week we'll be having early April weather with highs in the low 50s. And we've had no rain to speak of so the seedlings are in danger of dying. Weather has been a little wonky.

I've also managed to do a lot of weeding in the perennial bed and managed to plant the sadly dried out roots I bought at Walmart. Some of them have still sprouted, a few aquilegia and one each of the 2 clematis and 2 yellow hollyhocks,  but it just took me too long to prepare the bed for them.

I put up netting for the snow peas which also were planted a month late. But many have sprouted and hopefully I'll still manage to get a few for at least one meal. As you can see the garden is in desperate need of weeding. I'll use the tiller again though in the long run that will probably make things worse. I really need to lay down plastic mulch to kill the grass.

As I said Hal has been moving right along on the electrical, most of the boxes are in and he's pulling wire. He even lit up a few of the recessed cans so we can have light when necessary.


This is the dining room wall
Soon he will install the boxes for the exterior lights. I've ordered a different style of barn light from the first one I ordered, that one seems as though a strong wind will bend it out of shape/alignment though I do like the looks of it. it shipped today so hopefully I'll have it figured out by the end of the week.

Time to put up some more furring strips.

No comments: