Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Downstate with Complications

Last Friday, the 13th I drove my mother-in-law downstate to her daughter's house so she could go to one of her granddaughter's high school graduation party on Saturday. I noticed she was a little short of breath when we stopped at the rest area 2 hours into our 4.5 hour drive. I mentioned this to her daughter when we got there. MIL took me to dinner that night, (where she also experienced shortness of breath walking into the restuarant) then the next day she went to her youngest granddaughter's parade, her youngest nephew's ball game and then we all went to the party.

This was originally going to be a 3 day trip, down Friday, party Saturday, drive back Sunday, but a SIL of my MIL, in other words, an older aunt was in the hospital on her death bed so it was suggested I bring extra clothes in case we needed to stay. (she did indeed pass, poor thing)

Things were quiet Sunday so her daughter and I ran errands and we left MIL to watch the Tigers baseball game on TV. Next day we took MIL to see 2 different sisters-in-law in a 5 hour visit. MIL was looking pretty tired by the time we got back to her daughter's house and went to bed later that night not feeling too well.

Tuesday I was supposed to drive us back home but at 5:30 am I woke up a bit worried and looked in on her but she seemed to be sleeping just fine. Then at 7:30 she knocked on my bedroom door and said she was not feeling well at all, very short of breath so I woke her daughter who took her blood pressure which was very, very high so we took her to the emergency room.

Long story short, she was admitted with a preliminary diagnosis of congestive heart failure, (fluid around her heart). Turns out she didn't take her diuretic pills all weekend, though this was probably going to happen anyway, that just made everything worse. The medical staff gave her diuretics intravenously, as well as blood pressure lowering medication. By the time we left almost 12 hours later she was definitely looking and feeling better but will be in the hospital for a few days to make sure she is straightened out. So I will be here a little longer than planned, probably till the weekend at least.

Guess I'd better do some laundry.

No comments: