Wednesday, March 26, 2014

My Brother's Beans and Rice Dish

The other day I decided to try and recreate the veggie dish my brother made when he visited in December. I emailed him first and got a reply with what he did which was a good thing because I couldn't remember anything in it other than peppers and onions! Sometimes my memory (or lack thereof) is frightening. He gave me his main ingredients, suggested some spices and told me to just experiment. So this is what I did.

2 sweet green peppers
1 sweet orange pepper
2 yellow onions
3 heaping tsp chopped garlic, (about 10 cloves)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried basil
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 c sweet chili sauce
2 cans black beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can great northern beans
The main ingredients

3 cups white rice
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp salt

Cut up the peppers and onions and saute in olive oil till the onions wilt, add the garlic, cook a few minutes more, add the tomato and chili sauce with spices and rinsed and drained beans. Let it all cook for an hour or so over low heat covered.

Peppers and onions on the left, rice on the right
Cook the white rice with the salt and turmeric in water and a cup of chicken broth. Add to the peppers, mix well and let cook on stove another 30 minutes or so.
I also threw in some leftover roast chicken
The rice is where I might have let things get out of hand. My brother said 3 cups of rice. I assumed 3 cups uncooked rice. When I combined it all there was a huge amount of rice to peppers and onions. It still tasted great but I think he may have meant 3 cups of cooked rice. I may try that the next time, or at the very least drop it to 2 cups of uncooked rice. (I would also decrease the turmeric accordingly.)

No comments: