Friday, April 5, 2019

The Robins are Back

Saw my first robin this afternoon in my front yard. Just bouncing on down the hill. The gold finches which have stuck around all winter are turning more yellow every week. The weather is also slowly warming up, the next 3 days are supposed to be averaging around 60 F degrees. Looking forward to that as we're still getting days like this morning which had sleet and a dusting of snow. but April is volatile like that. A week from now the forecast keeps switching back and forth between an inch of snow or 5-8 inches. At thirty-five degrees for a high either could happen.

Another sure sign of spring, the bears are awake as you can see from the state of one of my suet feeders. I was able to repair the other one and somehow he did not destroy the thistle feeder he tossed to the ground after bending the metal pole over. Tonight all the feeders are inside.

Maple syrup season is over, we have approximately 10 gallons I think, from sap gathered over the last 3 weeks. A pretty good season I'd say. Now we just have to get around to canning it. But tomorrow Hal is going to smoke some chicken. Third time this year. Yum.

No comments: