Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Garden Update with Photos

So something ate through the two stems of one of my potato plants over the course of 2 nights. I assumed it was a cutworm but couldn't find it buried in the sand any where in the vicinity, nor could I find hide nor hair of it the second day. Fortunately, there was a small leaf at the base of each toppled stem so I put a small mushroom can around each leaf as well as the potato plant right next to it. No damage today. Doesn't mean there won't be damage tomorrow, plus my bean plants which are just sprouting are only a few inches away on the other side of the bunny-protection chicken wire.

On the other veggie fronts, 4 of my tomato plants are poking out above the walls o' water. I'm leaving them on another night because it dropped to 39f last night and tonight is also supposed to be cool. Summer returns Friday with highs predicted to be in the 80s and lows in the 50s and 60s.
tomatoes in walls o' water
I have lots of cucumber and zucchini and pumpkin sprouts, too. Every variety I planted including seeds from last year has at least one sprout and often 2 or more. No real leaves yet, another day or two before those appear. I really need to think about planting another crop of beans, too. I have lots of space left. Perhaps another hill or two of cucumbers would be good, too.
And these are the flowers I picked up in Alpena last week. The orange ones are Gerbera and I got some yellow French marigolds and some dusty miller. I think they look good in my purple pots.

No comments: