Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Our Yooper Vacation: Day 1, Castle Rock

Last week Hal and I took a road trip into the upper peninsula (UP) of Michigan. He had taken me on a day trip many years ago that I barely remember. This time the plan was 5 days and 4 nights seeing all the things I'd never seen and a few Hal had never seen as well.

We left at 10 am last Tuesday September 2nd (the day after Labor Day) after dropping the pups off at Mr J's and arranging for the chickens to be taken care of. For the most part we stayed off the freeways choosing to travel the secondary roads for the scenery. In a couple of hours we made it to the 5 mile long Mackinac Bridge and Hal took photos while I drove over.

First stop was Castle Rock an outcropping of "limestone breccia according to Wikipedia just outside of St Ignace. It's a little tourist trap but was fun, only charging a couple bucks to climb to climb all those steps to the top which is nearly 200 feet above Lake Huron. However many it was I discovered that all that dog walking did not get me into very good shape. We had to pause more than once to make it to the top. My thigh muscles were not happy.

Paul Bunyan and Babe
At the top I took several photos and we got someone else to take a photo of us. However as that was taken using Hal's camera you will have to settle for the photo I took of him with mine. Just imagine me behind the camera.
Looking back at the Mackinac Bridge
Hal, not his real name, but at last, his real face
As for the tourist trap part, all I bought was a tee shirt.

No comments: