Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Some Fair Results

I picked up my entries from the Home Arts building at the Alcona County fair Sunday morning. The entries for the fair itself were pretty sad, many, many categories had no entries at all, and many others had only 1 or two entries. However, I was informed by the Secretary and it's printed in the rules that first place will only be awarded if something deserves it and I did see an example of that. The crochet hat category for instance, my hat came in 4th, 2nd and 3rd place were awarded but there was no first place hat that I could see.

So my hat may have had a dismal finish, (I suspect they did not think an acrylic microfiber was an appropriate material for a winter hat) but I did much better in the shawl and sweater categories.

 Sweater, crochet, first place.
 Isolde shawl, crochet, first place.
 This is what it looks like spread out. It's a shame they have no way of hanging things so people can appreciate the work everyone has done. I wonder if that fact keeps more people from bothering to enter.
You were allowed two entries per category and as I had finished the Small Talk shawl earlier this year I put it in as well. It got second place. Feels kind of weird losing to oneself. If I enter next year I'll probably only enter one. I'm also going to try to get the local church ladies to enter something, at the very least my neighbor. She makes mittens and hats and lovely prayer shawls.

No comments: