Saturday, April 19, 2008

And Summer is Providing a Sneak Preview!

At least it has these last 2 days; 77f both days, sunny, only a slight breeze today; the dogs and ducks are loving it. In fact the runner loved it so much Thursday night she decided to join her friends on the nearly completely thawed pond for 3 hours. I couldn't get them back to the garage even by shaking the feed can. They were having a blast in the water! Hopefully, that did not harm the eggs, I won't know for just over 2 weeks (I do not have the means to candle them and would rather leave them alone anyway.) Last night, she stayed inside and I shut the door. The other 4 slept on the pond as they did all last summer. And as of yesterday, with this heat, the pond has thawed completely.

Rocket even swam yesterday, he only does that infrequently now and only when he gets very hot. Luna chased a couple sticks and even leaped in once today. Right now those 2 are on the deck enjoying the evening, occasionally Luna will howl at something I can neither see nor hear. I can hear the peepers through the closed window, though.

My daffodils also started blooming this afternoon. I thought it would be another week or two but this warmer than usual weather prodded them forward. We aren't getting the rain we should be having either so I've had to hand water my vegetable garden. I planted my lettuce, spinach and beets last week and suddenly the cold weather they love disappears. It should be cooling down again sometime soon, this shouldn't last. In fact it will probably cool off the day new chaise lounge I ordered is delivered. But I'm going to use it even if I have to wear a coat!

No comments: