Friday, February 29, 2008

Turkeys are Back


First they were nosing about the duck feed by the garage, then they wandered up under the bird feeder. I've seen these 3 around on and off the past few weeks. We used to have a hen party of 10 cruising up and down our driveway but I haven't seen them in months. After these 3 ran off, I took Luna and Rocket on their walk through the woods and she she turned the corner of Bambi Highway I heard all kinds of squawking then at least 12 turkeys were flying in the air over head. I could hear many more scattering through the woods. There had to be at least 20 birds if not more. When we moved here nearly 8 years ago there was a huge flock of 100-150. They wintered in the hilly woods but dispersed after that winter probably because they didn't like Rocket being in the area. Perhaps they're coming back? Though 20 is a far cry from 150.

No comments: