Thursday, April 8, 2021

Preparing the Ceiling for Drywall

It's still a few months before drywall but today I started adding furring strips, 8 foot long 1"x3" spruce boards to the ceiling joists that the drywall will be screwed into. They are spaced 16" apart and there will be a lot of them. Figuring out how to hold them overhead and then holding the screw gun overhead wasn't fun. After a lot of aggravation, we clamped another board perpendicular to previous ones so the ones I was putting up were held on the far end. I just don't have the hand strength to hold the board up with one hand and also use the screw gun. I need both hands on the screw gun to push up hard enough to get the screws all the way in. I put 2 screws, #6 x 2" drywall screws into every joist. It took all afternoon to put up 9 furring strips. Now that I have a system, I hope it will go faster. 

In the meantime Hal was putting up 2x4s around the exterior perimeter at the ceiling for the drywall along the walls to be attached to. He'll be putting them along the floors when he's done.


No comments: