Wednesday, April 28, 2021

A Little Gardening

My raspberry plants came a couple days ago and I needed to get them in the ground so yesterday I used my little battery powered tiller (which worked much better since the ground was not as mucky as the first time) and my long handled claw to make 10 holes for them, 5 per row. 

I then tilled up another row, put in 3 stakes, (need to get another), and planted 2 varieties of snow pea. Oregon sugar pod II and an heirloom, Golden sweet. Both of these and the raspberry plants came from Pinetree Gardens.

In the photo it's hard to see anything other than some disturbed soil. In the foreground you can see 2 rocks which show the end of the snow peas. I still have more Oregon sugar pod to plant but it was spitting rain so I quit and went to help Hal put up the closet wall. In total about 124 pea seeds were planted. I bought a fabric netting to hang on those posts to hold the peas as they climb.


As it rained a lot last night, I won't be tilling in the near future, but the remainder of the bed will be for things I can't plant till the end of May anyway. It may look like spring, but we still have frosts.

Yesterday I also planted some pansies (viola) in my purple pots outside the farmhouse. At least they can withstand frosts (30 for a low expected this coming Friday) and it's nice to have some pretty colors to look at.


And while I was waiting for Hal to call me to help with those walls, I started weeding the perennial flower bed I planted last year. It's a mess and will take me hours to clean it up. It does look like some things have survived and are are already growing. The dianthus and ninebark and forsythias are sprouting. The garden looks like crap and the snow compressed it so much it has exposed a lot of gravel. I will need to get some mulch when I am done.
Kaylee is bored with weeding

No comments: