Wednesday, July 3, 2019

More Home Build Progress

Hal and I did well today, the winds were calm this morning so we got the final 2 fill size pieces of roofing steel on the front of the house.

Hal screwing down the last sheet
His brother, visiting from Texas, helped out, taking over my job on the ground. So I took photos of how we actually get these 23'10" long sheets onto the roof. After I mark and drill the holes, we wrap 4 ropes around the sheet to curl it up which strengthens the sheet and helps prevent bending (which will crease and ruin the steel). Hal pushes it onto the roof from beneath while I anchor the end on a tire to protect the edge (not shown as I was still doing that part). Then he pushes it up high enough for me, or in this case his brother, to hold it steady till Hal climbs onto the roof and 
holding it steady
pulls it up the rest of the way. Then I will climb another ladder and pull off the lower rope and keep the sheet from sliding off while he releases the other ropes and we tweak it into place for him to screw it down.
Hal hauling it up
Then we put up 2 more wall pieces, installed the second garage window (Pella), drilled, cut and installed 2 more pieces of steel and called it a day. It was almost 5 pm by this time and we were hot and tired. One more sheet of blue steel to go on this short wall. Maybe it will go up tomorrow. First we hope to get more roof steel on the back. Only 4 to go.
2nd window and new wall steel

the nearly finished garage wall
How we left it today

I think it's finally starting to look like a house.

No comments: