Saturday, July 14, 2018

PUPPY!

So yesterday, Friday the 13th, I went to breakfast at the Lunch Box in Curran, (had the biscuits and gravy which were very good, if a bit over peppered), with my friend Tom, a man who has had many a bird dog over the years which he trained himself for upland bird hunting.  After breakfast we drove out to the town of Hillman to look at PUPPIES!!!

A couple days earlier my friend Judy's SIL heard an ad on WATZ radio for chocolate labrador retriever puppies for sale in Hillman and called me. I had already decided not to look at any more dog adoption pages at petfinder.com till after we finished putting the roof on the new house. So the plan to look for a new pup would be late September or early October. However, I was not going to turn down some cute little pup that might fall into my lap.

According to Hal's preferences the plan also meant NO PUPPIES. He'd rather I get a dog about 5 years old, figuring I would take Ziggy to meet every prospective dog at various shelters. That could take forever, no guarantee they'd get along or that I could find anything other than "lab mixes", most of them suspiciously pit bull types. Now I know there are many wonderful pit bulls and other dogs but I LOVE labradors, and that's what I want. And the minute a real lab shows up at a shelter they are usually snapped up.

I called the radio station, got the phone number, called and left a message. In a couple of hours the owner called me back I got to ask questions about price, how many there were etc and said I'd call back after talking to Hal.

I explained all my fears about not finding a good match to Hal and he relented. In fact he wants to go on record that he didn't say "yes, get a puppy," but "I won't stop you." YIPPEE! Good enough for me! Family harmony and a possible puppy. I texted Tom, called the owner back and 2 days later, on Friday, a rainy day so I wasn't interrupting the roofing, Tom and I headed to Hillman, in his truck because when I pulled my car out of the garage there was pale gray smoke coming out of the engine.

So long story short, I got to play with puppies, 3 girls still unadopted/sold. The 2 young girls who were there with their grandpa handed me the one they called Leia, put another they called Sophie and the third whose name I cannot recall on the floor. Mostly they preferred to wander off or eat, but I thought maybe little Leia hung around me a bit more. Of course, I hardly put her down once I had my hands on her so maybe she had no choice really.

So in 3 weeks, this little gal is coming home with me. I have named her Kaylee. The name may even stick. I think Luna would be happy for me. She always wanted me to be happy.
 Mom's name is Marly.
She is the one with the orange collar

No comments: