Saturday, December 31, 2022

And Out Goes 2022

 With a whimper in our case. Hal and I and our friend John all came down with covid one after another starting Monday with John. Then me on Tuesday night and Hal by Wednesday evening. And then, sometime after 1 am Friday, I suffered a charlie horse in my sleep, whether from lack of salt, water, food, who knows, I had barely eaten in 48 hours. I got up to try and stretch my leg out, these are extremely painful, but I managed, got my left foot flat on the floor. Then, for some reason, I decided to head to the bathroom as I was already awake anyway. Sitting down and risking the recurrence of the muscle spasm made a lot more sense in hindsight. 

At the bathroom entrance I have a vague memory of severe pain, but next thing I know I am on the floor, Carl is asking me if I'm okay, I couldn't answer, at some point I started howling, I apparently passed out, and my head hit the edge of the granite countertop. I crawled back to bed; had Hal get me ice. A couple hours later I was getting lightheaded and nauseous just lying there, told Hal he needed to call 911 and get me to the hospital. I attempted to head back to the bathroom, and this time managed to control my fall back onto the floor. I was totally unable to even sit up by that point, 4 EMTs had to slide a sheet under me to lift me onto the gurney. They also put me into a neck brace. 

Okay, to shorten this up a bit, I got an IV at the hospital with anti-nausea medication. the help was tremendous. Had a CAT scan, blood test, everything looked good, they figured a combination of covid and dehydration, Lucky me, got a huge bump on my forehead, it's now draining into my eye. And I was home by 730 am and Hal and I went to bed. He had to wait in the parking lot and I was sent home because of covid. And I got a pack of the new covid pills that are essentially still under testing, The side effects aren't pretty but, oh well.

So, Happy New Year. Could be a lot worse.

No comments: