Monday, May 7, 2018

Front Half of Garage Roof's Purlins Installed

Hal and I got 14 more purlins installed Saturday. Purlins are the horizontal boards along the roofline. I cut them to length, in this case 13' 10 5/8" to account for the overhang on the right. Otherwise, for our build, they usually are around 12 feet long. After I cut them to length up at the pole barn, I drove them down and then I handed them up while for Hal to put them in place and screw one end into the joist hangers. The other end will be screwed in after we attach straps to pull everything into square.
the first of 14 purlins

all 14 purlins installed

you can see the ones still missing in the back

starting to look like a roof
Of course it rained again on Sunday, so not much got done. I did plant a bunch of windbreak saplings that I bought from the county conservation district once the rain finally ended around 4 pm. Better luck on the house today though, nice and sunny!

No comments: